Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Power Of A Playlist

One of the very first things I learned as I began to write was the power of music in inspiring my muse. Sometimes life is so hectic and I have a million thoughts running around in my head that it's difficult to hear the creative urging to write. When I signed up for NaNoWriMo last year, it required a really big commitment and effort - 50,000 words in 30 days. With a muse that likes to hide, I needed something to coax her out so I created my Broken Promises playlist. I recently joined an AMAZING writers group on Facebook *waves "Hi guys!"* and we got talking about it. So here's the post I put together to showcase what I listen to...


Book One - Broken Promises

4 Minutes by Madonna and Justin Timberlake
Better by Lynden
Battlefield by Jordan Sparks
Far Away by Nickelback
For Your Entertainment by Adam Lambert
Here Without You by 3 Doors Down
Impossible by Shontelle
Jar Of Hearts by Christina Perri
Need You Now by Lady Antebellum
Numb by Linkin Park
Run This Town by Jay-Z
Russian Roulette by Rihanna
Breakeven by The Script
I Can't Stay Away by The Veronicas
Fall For You by Secondhand Serenade
Club Can't Handle Me by Flo Rida
Give Me A Sign by Breaking Benjamin
Start A Fire by Ryan Star
Breath by Breaking Benjamin


Book Two - Bleeding Hearts

Beautiful Monster by Neyo
Crawling by Linkin Park


Book Three - Untitled

Apologise by Timbaland
Crawl by Chris Brown
Beautiful End by Barlowgirl
I Hate Everything About You by Three Days Grace
I Don't Love You by My Chemical Romance
Running Up That Hill by Placebo
I Will Not Bow by Breaking Benjamin


Here's the MAJOR songs



Russian Roulette by Rihanna
This is the song to prepare for the final scene. It's my unofficial theme song for book one





Give Me A Sign by Breaking Benjamin
I just added this and I sob every time. Totally captures the feel of book one



Start A Fire by Ryan Starr
Here's the song that sums up Quinn and Bree's relationship



Beautiful Ending by Barlowgirl
This is the song for book three. There's a section in it that totally captured Bree's feelings about what happened. Quinn had put her through so much.. she'd been hurt and has to ask herself where do they go from here. Can the relationship be saved? Can she move past it? I cry when I hear "At the end of the day, I wanna be in your arms." *looks at arms* Got goosebumps just typing it.



Running Up That Hill by Placebo
I LOVE the beat and feel for this and use it for the battle scenes or when I'm writing something with urgency.



I Can't Stay Away by The Veronicas
I love this song for Bree. It's her love for Quinn that keeps her fighting for him even when he's such an ass to her.




Crawl by Chris Brown
When I heard this I thought of Quinn towards the end of book three. He is absolutely horrified by what he's done and he's not sure whether he'll ever be able to redeem himself to Bree.



So there's what I listen to when I'm writing. I better start creating one for The Curse of Illusions.. Aidan keeps whispering in my head, wanting to play so I need a little mood music. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Great list! I haven't heard all of these songs so I will have to check them out. Jar of Hearts is on my current writing playlist as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list :) I don't think that I had heard the Ryan Star song. It is great. Isn't it funny how many songs we all share on our playlist? It is great to find new songs too!

    ReplyDelete